15th Ohio Volunteer Infantry



Willich's Brigade Descendants Association

90 Day Unit-15th OVI

Shiloh to Stone River 1862

Liberty Gap-Chickamauga-Mission Ridge

Atlanta Campaign

Franklin, Nashville & Texas Campaigns

Bibliography and Resources

Biography of Colonel Frank Askew

Biography of Colonel William Wallace

Staff Roster

Company Rosters


15th Ohio Reunion-1887

Brigade Biographies

Brigade Stories

Monuments and Links

Guest Book and Ancestor Page

Brigade Photos

Brigade Photos 2

Captain Lucius Doolittle-Co. G

Doolittle Journal-Company G

James M. McMeeken-Co. G

Medals of Honor

Online Cemetery Master List

15th Ohio Online Cemetery

15th Ohio Online Cemetery 2

15th Ohio Online Cemetery 3

15th Ohio Online Cemetery 4

15th Ohio Online Cemetery--Co. A

15th Ohio Online Cemetery--Co. C

15th Ohio Online Cemetery--Co. F

15th Ohio Online Cemetery--Co. I

Willich's Brigade Online Cemetery

NEW BOOK---The Buckeye Vanguard


In The Footsteps of the 15th Ohio Volunteer Infantry

On this page, we will present brief biographies of various members of Willich's Brigade 



Major Wilber Goodspeed was born in Massillon, Ohio on July 31, 1836. He moved with his family to Haydenvill, Mass. in 1850, where he attended school before returning to Massillon for three years. Goodspeed then entered the wholesale shor business in New York City and in 1853-54 embarked on the same business in Cleveland.

    With the opening of the war, Goodspeed enlisted as a private in Battery A, 1st Ohio Light Artillery. After short service, he was elected Lieutenant and became commander of the Battery with the rank of Captain. Rising to the rank of Major, Goodspeed became the commander of the IV Corps Artillery. He was widely acknowledged to have been one of the most able artillerists produced by the war. He gained a reputation for bravery and skill that few could match. It was at the battle of Chickamauga that Goodspeed acheived his greatest fame.

     Following the war, Goodspeed returned to Cleveland but soon moved on to Columbus, Ohio where he was engaged in various manufacturing concerns, served as President of the Commercial National Bank and Director of the Hocking Valley Railroad. He also was active in the G.A.R., the Loyal Legion and was a member of the Chickmauga Park Commission and served as a United States Marshall from 1876-1884. He was distinguished for his quiet but generous philanthropy. Goodspeed remained lifelong friends with his former commander John Barnett.

     Major Goodspeed was married twice. First on December 24, 1863 to Marion Laird. Marion died in 1881. Goodspeed remarried on December 27, 1883 to Harriet Howe. They had one son, Barnet.

     Goodspeed died of a heart attack at his home in Columbus, Ohio on February 4, 1905. The Battery's old battleflag was brought from Cincinnati to cover his coffin. The shops of Columbus were closed for his funeral and the Governor of Ohio served as one of his pall-bearers, He was laid to rest in Greenlawn Cemetery in Columbus.






Major Wilbur Goodspeed circa 1900 (Center-Chair)


Samuel Sheldon Pettit was born in Sussex County, New Jersey on April 23, 1833, the youngest of four children born to Amos and Ruth Teasdale Pettit. At the age of 16, he began to learn harness making. In the spring of 1851 he moved to Knoxvill, Ill. were he met and married Laura McKenzie. In 1854, they moved on to California. In 1857, he returned home and moved to Wyandot Co. Ohio in 1858.

     With the outbreak of the war, he enlisted in the Co. D of the 15th Ohio Volunteer Infantry as 1st Sgt. His outstanding conduct at the Battle of Shiloh earmarked him for higher rank. Captain Isaac Kirby, in a letter dated April 28, 1862, wrote to Ohio Governor David Todd stating that Pettit was well qualified for and deserving of promation to 2nd Lieutenant. In the discharge of his duties, Pettit mad himself known to the regiment as efficient, intelligent, prompt, of good conduct and solderly bearing. Governnor Todd agreed and assigned the next vacancy of 2nd Lieutenant to Pettit.

     Pettit fought in all the campaigns of the regiment, dispite being laid up all winter of 1863-64 with chronic rheumatism. Promoted to captain, he returned home after the war. In 1885, the Pettit moved to Oakland, California and in 1897 to Lodi, California where Captain Pettit was a member of the F. and A. Masons, the Knights of Pythias and Rawlins Post of the GAR of Stockton, Calif. Captain Pettit was an active member of the community and took part in all the activities of the Grand Army. Stricken by a series of strokes in August of 1908, Captain Pettit passed away on April 13, 1910 and is buried in the Lodi Cemetery.